April updates

This month I built a front to the large hole where the drawers in the aft part of the galley use to be. The PO removed them and added a fuel tank there. It is a  Moeller Marine (Model FT 1998) 19 gallon tank. I’ve no longer got the original, it is just empty space, so i can add back that tank, and increase the tank/range capacity for cruising.  To cover the open space, I built up a door with two shelves to hold galley items. It does take up where I use to keep the trash bag though.  It still needs to be painted and stained, but it is functional now.

Next up was some work work in the V-berth. A while back I built shelves to increase the size of the area to the outboards and at the foot to increase the storage in the V-berth. I built rails to hold the stuff on the shelves. I’ve still need to run over the top edge with a round over bit on the router to give a more finished look, (though I do like the square look). Since the wood it rest on is 1/2″ MDO, I’ll use some 1.5 angle brackets to hold the rails to the shelves.

 

In an effort to keep increasing the comfort of the V-berth, I cut up a California king nova foam topper to fit the V-berth.  I’d suggest if you do the same to use a normal king, as the cali king is a bit short. Also if doing this, you need to measure the distance up from the foam that is there, as I’ve a gap on one side, as i did not account for the outward slope of the v-berth. It is much more comfortable in the V-berth now, but every addition for comfort seems to reduce the over head space. Everything on a boat is a compromise they say.

In and effort to keep the cabinet in the saloon I built shut, I’ve made the rough idea for some toggle latches. These should keep the doors shut while underway and I was able to use pieces of wood I already had.

To up the entertainment, I’ve installed a 24″ Samsung TV forward of the nav station on a full mount. It is hooked up to a Odroid Xu4, which I’ve been working on getting openCPN working on it as the nav software. The screen can be rotated to watch from across the saloon, or moved to be at a good angle to be viewed from the nav table.

West marine also had there 40% off sale on new england rope. I decided that I’d buy some 3 strand nylon to make up some new dock lines. I’ve spliced up 4/6 that I planned on making. I’m saving the last two for the girlfriend as she wanted to do some as well.  When done, I’ll have 4 19′ lines for the corners, and 2 30′ spring lines.

I filled the water tank about once a week (4 times this month) and changed out the composting head as well.