My girlfriend and I stumbled upon some rigging/line splicing classes the the local large West Marine was giving about 7-8 months ago. While there we learned how to splice dyneema (Type 2 12 strand rope) and 3 strand nylon. I bought some cheap plastic fids. I was not a huge fan, but they worked and helped me learn. I read some where that knitting needles might work. I looked into that, and today I made 1/4″, 5/16″ and 3/8″ (6.5mm, 8mm, and 10mm) fids. You can get a 2 pack of the same size for under 3 dollars with a coupon at Jo-Ann’s fabrics.
I used a miter saw to cut a 52 degree cut into a piece of a 2×4. I’d go with 60 degrees if you can manage to get that cut, but my miter saw only went to 52.
I then drilled guides to slide the knitting needles into the jig so that i could cut the ends at the 52 degree cut. I used a vibrating multi-tool with a metal blade. I used the Samson sizes for the lengths of the fids, you can find that online.
Then swapped over the some 80grit sand paper on the multi-tool to make the edges not sharp.
I then marked the short fid length with wire cutters, though you cannot see the marks in the pictures.
Jig in action, mark 1. Before set screw
Finished product. (10mm is gold, 8mm is purple, 6.5mm is blue)
Knitting needles used
jig with set screws
holes to line up for the cut
other tools from the crafts store.
New fids vs the plastic ones.
Tools used for this project: Miter saw, drill, drill bits, vibrating multi-tool with metal blade and sanding pad and a scrape 2×4.
I’ve done some re wiring of the boat, I now have fuses!
Started progress on more storage for the galley with a 2 drawer thing.
Built a propane tank holder for the stern rail.
3 Gp-27 batteries
Need to clean up the wire routing
blue sea stuff
Light added to quarter berth overhead
Drawer housing for the galley
area for drawers
propane tank holder for stern rail,
will hold 2 6lb tanks
One day while looking for areas for more storage, I started to look at the drawers aft of the hanging locker. There was a good bit of room behind the drawers as they are made, which is just wasted space. In all I’ll be able to gain about 15.5″ of drawer space between the four drawers, which turns into a bit over one more drawer then what I’ve got to start with.
The drawers are angled at a 10 degree, to fit into the cabinet which makes cutting and fitting them a bit harder.
Yesterday, I went to home depot, and bought some FCS birch (waste of money, should have just gotten more MDO). There are a decent bit of voids, and overall seems like less quality wood then MDO, but it was a natural wood, and not the resin overlay on it, which is what I was after. While there, I took advantage of the wood cutting, which on most of the cuts, ended up being a 1/8″ inch short, (I should have measured the first cut). Which would have been fine, but they switched the direction of cut of some of the other cuts, which make the bottoms be 1/8″ to wide. I’m going to be using 1/4″ cedar plywood for the bottom.
I used a miter saw to cut the bevel, and am using the kreg jib to make pocket holes to hold the stuff together then using square dowel as runners to hold the bottom in place in leiu of using a router to cut a slot to slide the bottom in as they are made from the factory.
The top and next one down will be 20″ long, then third will be 17, and the bottom will be 12.5″ (total of 69.5″). The factory drawers were 14.25″ x3 and 11.25 (total of 54″). So a solid gain in space for not taking up anymore area.
I’ll eventually finish this project. Like so many others