Beta Marine 20, aka BD722 maintenance

The last time I was out motoring of a long distance, the inboard would start to overheat slowly if left in gear around 2800-3000RPM. Temps would lower if the load was taken off so either the intake is clogged, or the impeller is damaged, I suppose it could be a combination of the two.

Removing the 3 10mm screws that hold on the cover revealed what I think to be the problem. The impeller is missing one of the vanes.

Lots of googling later, I’ve decided that the replacement impeller kit is from Jabsco 18653-001-P, which does not match what is imprinted on the impeller that is there. It also seems that Beta Marine, has a strong presence in the UK, as most sites seem to be from there that had parts.

There is a distributor on the west coast, Beta Marine West that sells parts. I forgot to add the pump to the order and ended up calling them, which was a good thing as it saved me a decent bit of money, and more in the future when reordering the kit.

It turns out that the Jabsco and the Johnson pump kits are interchangeable.  The Jabsco has 10 vanes, while the Johnson has 6 vanes. The vanes control pressure and flow. So more vanes means higher pressure, and less vanes means more flow. The tech guy I spoke to on the phone, typically recommends the Johnson as it is a bit cheaper and works fine in the BD722. So score one for savings.

Zinc anodes are expensive for what little you get out of them. So I’m gonna look into finding a way to get some of those via 20MM rod stock to fit the screw plugs as now I’ll have two when the parts arrive.

Other interchangeable parts that I found on the internet are as follows:

Oil Filter Fram PH5343 or Crossland 2142
Air Filter Fram CA15 or Fleetguard AF1657
Fuel Filter Fram P4766 or Crossland 5004

When time to change those, I’ll look into seeing if those are actually correct.

 

Advertisements

First overnight anchoring trip

Since the discovery of the failed fitting of the dinghy on the deck of the boat, the girlfriend and I decided to do something a little shorter and closer to home, since we had provisioned for the most part for a trip to Catalina. Mission Bay, has a night 72hour anchorage before the bridges into Mission Bay proper. Mariner’s cove, is a nice sandy body well protected area. The girlfriend worked and missed the trip up, it was pretty uneventful. I got the boat ready and headed out.

10/1/15 at 11:18am is when I started tracking in the navionics app. The recorded data is 25.1NM, average spead of 4.2Kts, while pulling the dinghy, most of this was spend motorsailing out of san Diego bay. I also think the app got confused at some point, as i do not recall a trip in a car anywhere that day, but the Max speed it list is 50.3Kts, so the average speed may be off…

When I arrived, I set anchor and got the dinghy ready to pick the girlfriend up on the beach, and let the dog run around a bit and potty. He is not taking to his fake grass we got him. I also almost lost it on the way out of the Chula Vista Marina.

This was a great little trip, I got to experience cooking on the boat at anchor, cockpit shower with a gallon of water or less, watching other people have a hard time anchoring, got to see armchair pirate, and some other pirate decoy set up on someones mast in mission bay. During one of the dinghy trips I lost the dog over the side of the dinghy, he did good and swam back to the dinghy.

We decided to leave Saturday afternoon, as Sunday it called for rain, and it has been raining today. I had company with my girlfriend on the way back, we tied the dinghy up on a shorter tether on the way back. I’m not sure which one is better. She cooked dinner underway, and we ate out of bowls in the cockpit as the sun was heading out of sight in south bay. I used what I think is the best portable cup holder, a roll of duct tape. We made it home took the inside the kelp bed route, took 20.1NM, average speed 3.4kts, Max speed 7.8Kts. Experienced an overheating engine, so that needs to be looked into. We left at 1400, and arrived 2000.