When the boat was purchased it had the original princess pressurized alcohol stove on it. I’m sure that all have owned a boat have either read or experienced the horror stories that are associated with those types of cooking. Not to mention that the fuel used to it is one of the more expensive types of fuel to cook with.
I bought a butane single burner cook top the Iwatani ZA-3HP . It might be a bit over powered for most operations that are needed for cooking on a boat. 12000btu seemed like a good idea at the get go, but looking at the other btu of stoves, and cooktops, seems like 9k btu is about all that is needed. This thing will boil water and burn pancakes with ease. It is not so good at roasting marshmallows.
I removed the old princess, and that space works well to hold the case for the burner, it is also gimbals. I drilled out for holes, that the feet line up, so the cook top stays put on the surface. All in all it works pretty well. I got to test it this weekend with a trip up to Mission bay.
Without a refrigeration system on board ice is the name of the game. The built in ice box is lackluster. Minimal insulation on the box, and just wood for the lid. It also drains to the bilge. So it makes a nice place to store drinks before heading to the ice chest. I can fit, 2 2.5 gallon water jugs, two twelve packs, and various other drinks, and drink related items in it.
My girlfriends mom gifted to us the old cooler they used in the past that she still had in the garage. It is a Igloo marine 72. I think the 72 stands for 72 quarts. After today, it is not a 72 quart cooler, but closer to 40 quarts. But it has a new 1″ layer of pink board on all the sides and the lid, along with some great stuff to fill in the gaps a bit more.
All in all, it was a pretty easy project. I used three, well 2.5 2x2ft pink boards, and one can of great stuff. Hopefully it will hold ice much longer. I have been making some box ice, and hopefully with be testing it out this week on a trip to Mission Bay. Since Buccaneer days trip fell apart at the last minute due to me not wanting to tow the dinghy for that long of a trip.
When I purchased the boat, it came with lot of random extra stuff. Included was lots of random tools, a box of drill bits, bousuns chair that I needed at one point but did not know that I had one.
Yesterday my girlfriend and I was working on some last minute preparations for getting the boat ready for a trip to Catalina for Buccaneer days. The biggest things we had left was outboard storage, and the storage of the dinghy.
The dinghy that came with the boat is a 2000 Achilles SE-121. 12’2″ Hypalon boat. It is super stable, with the 8hp Tohatsuoutboard will get the boat moving around 14 knots in the water with me in while on a plane. Weights in about 140lbs, able to be hoisted onto the sailboat with the main halyard.
The problem with all this is that the boat is just a tad bit to long to fit on the boat of the boat. Seems like a 10ft would be about the max that fits up there. The outboard, weighs about 90lbs, while able to man handled on board in calm waters in the marina, I do not think would be so easy while tied up to a mooring or at anchor.
Towing the dinghy from what I’ve read will cost the boat about a knot, which when I figure the boat avg speed to be about 4.5 knots, doesn’t sound to appealing in towing the dinghy behind me. I should have tried to grab some pictures of this process, but it didnt seem like a good idea at the time. Oh well.
So with all that said, we (the girlfriend and I) decided to can the trip and do a shorter one to Mission bay this week instead. There is always next year.
I’ve had the boat since the end of May of 2015. This blog started on the 17th of September. All the stuff was what I could remember or had pictures of, from here out, it will be mostly in a logical and more up to date fashion.
Considering that the later models of Catalina 30’s had a better method of using the anchor locker for it’s intended purpose and seeing as I want to cruise about aboard the boat, I needed something better then what I had.
Enter the anchor locker mod, which is the mark 1 model of doing this.
In an effort to clean up my old head and attempt to make it smell a little better I removed the old drain lines from the sinks, and the inlet to the head. When I put them back in, I installed an H on the drain/inlet for the head. So now I can flush the head for the last use of the day with fresh water to help keep the lines clean.